Rental agreements

1. Overview

The rules for renting property in the Northwest Territories are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act and the Residential Tenancies Regulations.

The act appoints a rental officer to enforce the act, provide the public with information, and resolve disputes between landlords and tenants who have entered into residential tenancy agreements. Decisions by the rental officer have the same force as a Supreme Court order.

The legalization of cannabis will require both landlords and tenants to be aware of how the legislation will affect the usage of cannabis in their residences.

This page explains the act in general - it is not intended to give you legal advice on your particular problem. Because each person's case is different, you may need to get advice from a lawyer.

The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice