A lawyer's job is to help you navigate the legal system by advising you or representing you in court. If you are arrested, Section 10 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms grants you the right to seek advice from and representation by a lawyer.

In general, the Government of the Northwest Territories does not provide legal advice or representation to the public.

If you need legal assistance, but are unsure of how to proceed, the Legal Aid Commission provides public legal information and education services.

If you need a lawyer, the Law Society of the Northwest Territories provides a member directory and referral service to help you find a lawyer for your particular situation.

If you are on income support or are unable to afford the services of a lawyer, you may qualify for representation under the legal aid program. The legal aid program provides confidential legal services, advice, and representation by a lawyer for residents of the Northwest Territories who would be unable to afford these services. The Outreach Legal Aid Clinic also provides weekly clinics to assist those living in poverty with commonly needed legal services.

The Children's Lawyer represents children involved in custody disputes or who have been apprehended by Child and Family Services.

A complete alphabetical listing of the consolidated territorial Acts and associated regulations.
Contact the Department of Justice