The Legal Aid Commission offers a free outreach program to individuals to provide limited, confidential legal information or advice. The Outreach lawyer's role is only to provide advice and they cannot represent people in court. The program assists people in dealing with issues relating to:
- Housing, landlord, and tenant disputes
- Disability,Canada Pension Plan, EI and Income Support Claims and Appeals
- Employment rights
- Worker's Health and Safety Commission claims
- Wills and estate advice
- Mental health and guardianship reviews
- Child protection matters
- Elder abuse
- Family Law
- Debtor, creditor or civil claims (formerly known as small claims court)
The outreach program holds weekly clinics in Yellowknife on a first come, first serve basis as follows:
- Tuesday from 1:30-4:30 p.m., and
- Wednesday from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Clients can also make appointments at other times depending on the circumstances. In person clinics will be held in other NWT communities on a regular basis, or you may call the office for a scheduled phone appointment.
Government Service Officers may also provide help with Canada Pension Plan and employment insurance matters.
Upcoming Outreach Legal Aid Clinics in the Sahtu
- Monday, March 4, 2019 - Deline
- Tuesday, March 5, 2019 - Tulita
- Hamlet Boardroom, 9:30am - 12:00pm (or whenever court finishes)
- Wednesday, March 6, 2019 - Fort Good Hope
- Hamlet Boardroom, 10:00am - 3:00pm (or whenever court finishes)
- Thursday, March 7, 2019 - Norman Wells (Walk-in Clinic)
- Court Worker Office, 2nd floor, Heritage Hotel, 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Thursday, March 7, 2019 - Norman Wells (Wills & Estates Workshop)
- Health Centre, Day Program Area, 1:30pm - 4:00pm
The Walk-in Clinics will be held on a first come first served basis. No appointments are needed. For more information, please call 1-844-297-1319.