In an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19 personal visits for inmates are only available virtually (online).
Confidential in-person meetings with official visitors such as legal counsel, spiritual advisors and Elders will be accommodated as much as possible without permitting direct personal contact.
NWT Corrections is committed to the health and safety of staff and inmates in our facilities and the general public. We continue to consult with the Chief Public Health Office to ensure Corrections facilities are following safe COVID-19 protocols.
Contact the Warden at the facility to make arrangements for visits in exceptional circumstances:
- North Slave Correctional Complex: 867-669-8600
- Fort Smith Correctional Complex - Men's Unit: 867-872-6555
- Fort Smith Correctional Complex - Women's Unit: 867-872-6565
- South Mackenzie Correctional Centre: 867-874-2798
Click for Information on the response to the COVID-19 health emergency and how inmates and staff are being protected in the NWT Corrections facilities
The correctional facilities of the Northwest Territories are managed by the Corrections Service and provide safe and secure custody for territorial and federal offenders. There are three territorial correctional complexes:
- the North Slave Correctional Complex in Yellowknife;comprised of adult male unit and the Youth Unit;
- the South Mackenzie Correctional Centre in Hay River; and
- the Fort Smith Correctional Complex, comprised of separate units for male and female inmates.
The public is able to visit inmates according to each correctional facility's rules and regulations. Visiting hours vary by facility, and visitors will be asked to dress appropriately and follow facility rules.