Interjurisdictional support orders

The Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, allows the Maintenance Enforcement Program to have other jurisdictions enforce child and spousal support orders issued in the Northwest Territories. Similarly, other jurisdictions can also have their maintenance orders enforced here.

You can also apply for a support order or change an existing order in a reciprocating jurisdiction without having to go there. The basic requirements are that you and the other party do not live in the same jurisdiction and that you have never been divorced.

The Northwest Territories currently has reciprocity agreements with:

  • all Canadian provinces and territories
  • all US states
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Barbados
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Isle of Malta
  • New Zeland
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • United Kingdom
  • Zimbabwe

The forms you need to complete to request or alter an order vary depending on the changes you are trying to make. Please consult the required forms guide below and contact the Maintenance Enforcement Program if you would like to submit an application. Although it is not a requirement, it is recommended that you consult with a lawyer.

The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice