Commissioners for oaths

A commissioner for oaths can administer oaths and take and receive affidavits, statutory declarations and affirmations for use in court or other legal proceedings. Unlike a notary public, a commissioner for oaths cannot certify true copies of documents, and is restricted to administering oaths and affirmations within the Northwest Territories.

Documents to be filed in court can be commissioned at a court registry. For other documents you will need to contact a lawyer or other notary service:

The list below provides appointed individuals who have consented to having their contact information released for public services. If you wish to be added to this list, please contact

Community Provider Phone
Yellowknife City of Yellowknife (appointment only) 1 (867) 920-5600
Yellowknife Lynkdoc Services (appointment only) 1 (867) 445-8293
Yellowknife Roxanne Penney 1 (709) 640-2670


The Evidence Act allows the Minister of Justice to appoint individuals as commissioners for oaths. To become a commissioner for oaths, you must submit to the Registrar:

  • a completed application form;
  • a completed examination form; and
  • payment in the amount of $75.00.

Every examination question must be answered correctly in order for your application to be accepted. Upon approval, you will be sent a certificate of appointment as a commissioner for oaths.

Appointments are made for three years and expire at midnight on the last day of the third year. For example, an appointment made on August 1, 2020 will expire at midnight on July 31, 2023. You will need to apply to renew your appointment by submitting a completed application form together with the fee. You will not be provided with notice that your appointment is about to expire.

Original signed documents must be submitted to the registry, by mail or in person. Applicable fees are payable to the Government of the Northwest Territories by VISA, Mastercard, cheque, or money order. Payments can also be made in person using cash or a debit card. Rejected submissions will be returned with any accompanying payments.

Certain forms require functionality which is not supported by alternative PDF viewers. For true viewing and function, open forms with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Corporate Registries
1st Floor Stuart M. Hodgson Building, 5009 49th Street
PO Box 1320
X1A 2L9
9:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday to Friday
The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice