Trust holdings for minors

Under the Public Trustee Act, any money, excluding wages and salaries, payable to a child under the age of nineteen are to be held in trust by the Public Trustee unless some other person has been appointed by the court to receive a child's money.

Sources of money to be held in trust include, but are not limited to:

  • lottery winnings,
  • inheritances from an estate,
  • accident settlements, and
  • life insurance payments.

Where funds are required for the maintenance or education of a child, a part of the money may be released from trust for that purpose. The money may be paid directly to a child's parents or guardians or another person as required.

Generally outside of Yellowknife, the Public Trustee may rely upon the Government Service Officers - especially in cases where a person is seeking assistance in an aboriginal language.

Office of the Public Trustee
10th Floor, 4920 52nd St
PO Box 1320
X1A 2L9

Related Pages

The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice