The Victims Assistance Committee is a three-member committee established by the NWT Victims of Crime Act. Each member is appointed to their position for three years by the Minister of Justice. The committee promotes courteous and compassionate treatment of victims and the distribution of information about services to victims. The committee also supports assisting victims in bringing their views and concerns to the attention of the courts; ensuring the safety of victims; and training for police, health, social service and others as to the needs and concerns of victims.
The committee makes recommendations on funding from the Victims Assistance Fund, reviews reports on projects funded and files annual reports with the Minister. The committee may make recommendations to the Minister relating to the development of policies respecting services to victims.
The annual reports of the committee are available below:
- 2002-03 Annual Report.pdf
- 2003-04 Annual Report.pdf
- 2004-05 Annual Report.pdf
- 2005-06 Annual Report.pdf
- 2006-07 Annual Report - Part 1.pdf
- 2006-07 Annual Report - Part 2.pdf
- 2007-08 Annual Report - Part 1.pdf
- 2007-08 Annual Report - Part 2.pdf
- 2008-09 Annual Report.pdf
- 2009-10 Annual Report.pdf
- 2013-14 Annual Report.pdf
- 2015-16 Annual Report.pdf