Victims of Crime Emergency Fund

The Victims of Crime Emergency Fund (VCEF) is designed to provide limited financial assistance to help victims of serious violent crimes with their emergency needs. The following criteria must be met in order to apply for funding:

  • The beneficiary is a resident of the NWT and the victim of a serious violent crime such as sexual assault, homicide/attempted homicide, forcible confinement, or assault causing serious bodily harm.
  • The crime took place in the NWT, within two months of the application date.
  • The applicant has not received funds for the same crime.
  • Funds are to be spent in the NWT.
  • There is an immediate need for emergency expenses.
  • The applicant is not an 'accused' in the crime.

Applications are limited to emergency needs which must be addressed to protect the victim from further physical or emotional harm, including but not limited to:

  • Crime scene clean-up.
  • Emergency home repairs for immediate safety.
  • Certain transportation costs.
  • Emergency child and/or dependent care.
  • Emergency accommodation and meals.
  • Short-term immediate counselling.
  • Emergency medical expenses.

Other expenses may be approved at the discretion of the Community Justice and Policing Division of the Department of Justice.


After your application is received, a decision will be made to either grant or deny assistance and you will be notified in writing. In the event that your application is denied, you can request a review of the decision.

A local victim services worker, nurse, social worker, or court worker can assist you with submitting an application or requesting a review of a decision. You can also contact the VCEF program or Victim Services directly for assistance.

Victims of Crime Emergency Fund
4903 49th St
PO Box 1320
X1A 2L9
The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice