Non-profit societies

1. Overview

Incorporating a society creates a legal entity separate from its members, and limits the liability of the individuals involved with it. Incorporating is not mandatory, but may be beneficial. As a registered legal entity, an incorporated society can own property and enter into contracts itself, and may also be eligible to register as a charity with the Canada Revenue Agency, qualify for government grants, or apply for a lottery license.

Incorporation imposes requirements and responsibilities for an organization. An incorporated society's actions are bound by its bylaws and the Societies Act. The Act also requires a society to hold an annual general meeting, and to file financial statements and lists of directors with the Registrar of Societies (Corporate Registries).

The activities of an incorporated society and the conduct of its members are not regulated. The Registrar of Societies enforces registration and filing requirements, but does not resolve conflicts between members or between a society and other parties.

You can search for business names (sole proprietorships) and partnerships, territorial and extra-territorial corporations, non-profit societies, co-operative associations, and other entities registered in the Northwest Territories online using the Corporate Registries Online System. Basic information such as the legal name, status, and type of organization is available free of charge. A full entity profile including scanned copies of documents filed by the organization can be accessed for a fee.

Payment Information

Fees can be paid by cash, cheque, Visa or Mastercard.

  • Payments can be made in-person during business hours.
  • Cheques/money orders must be made payable to: "Government of the Northwest Territories."
  • Credit card information can be included with a cover letter or submission sheet.
Corporate Registries
1st Floor Stuart M. Hodgson Building, 5009 49th Street
PO Box 1320
X1A 2L9
9:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday to Friday