Jury duty

A summons, or a notice to appear, is delivered to all the potential jurors whose names are drawn for the jury panel list. If you receive a Summons, you must attend at the location on the date and time shown. Failure to attend may result in you having to attend a hearing and you may be fined up to $200. A Sheriff’s Officer or Bailiff will deliver these, and they may be given to you in person or left with anyone at your home over the age of 16.

A jury list contains the names of people over the age of 18 years pulled at random from the list of people who are registered participants of the NWT Health Care Plan.

People who have been convicted and served a sentence of more than one year are disqualified from serving on a jury. People in some occupations are exempt from serving on a jury. To inquire if you are disqualified from serving on a jury, call the Sheriff’s Office.

If you want to be excused, you must contact the Sheriff’s Office. Requests may be mailed; however they must be received prior to the date you are required to attend court. The best contact method is by phone.

If you have not been excused or exempted from jury duty, you must show up at the place and at the time indicated on the summons. The Judge will explain the case and what will happen. People who received a summons will be called at random and will be asked questions about their ability to sit and hear the evidence. If your name is called and you are not excused, you will be sworn in as a juror.

If you are sworn in as a juror, you will be required to come back to court as directed until the trial is finished. In some cases, the jury may be sequestered, which means that they are kept together and apart from the public until they have reached a decision. This is infrequent, and the process will be explained if it is required. People who are selected to serve on a jury will receive an honorarium of $80 per day.

Sheriff's Office
1st Floor Courthouse, 4903 49th St
PO Box 550

Related Pages

A complete alphabetical listing of the consolidated territorial Acts and associated regulations.
Contact the Department of Justice