EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – Judicial Advisory Committee

The Honourable R.J. Simpson, Minister of Justice (NWT) is seeking expressions of interest from persons interested in serving as the Minister’s representative on the Judicial Advisory Committee for the Northwest Territories. The Judicial Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the Minister of Justice (federal) for the appointment of federal judges.

Minister Simpson will submit up to three names for consideration for appointment by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada. Members serve for two (2) year terms and may be renewed for one additional two (2) year term. All members of the Committee must be prepared to respect the confidentiality of the information with which they will be entrusted and be committed to making a contribution to the judicial appointments process.

Candidates must be an NWT resident. This is a volunteer position that any member of the public may apply for. The work of the Committee may require a significant amount of time and effort when engaged. No previous legal experience is required, but experience in the following areas would be considered an asset:

  • General knowledge of justice, social and/or community issues.
  • Experience or knowledge of your region of residence.
  • Experience serving on boards and hearings and/or community/committee involvement.
  • Experience in balanced evidence-based decision-making.
  • Experience in collaborative decision-making and conflict resolution.
  • Ability to make decisions that are focused, efficient and fair.

Please note that candidates selected for nomination will be required to complete four (4) forms required by Federal Judicial Affairs including self-identification information and consent to a background check. More information about the role of the Judicial Advisory Committees can be found here:

All interested individuals are requested to submit a letter outlining their interest in this work and their resume by email by June 21, 2021

Jeff Round
PO Box 1320
X1A 2L9
The Community Justice and Policing Division offers services to victims that can assist you in dealing with the emotional and…
Contact the Department of Justice