Victims Of Crime Emergency Fund

Are you a victim of serious violent crime? If so, you may have emergency needs.

The NWT Victims of Crime Emergency Fund is designed to provide limited financial assistance to help victims of serious violent crime with emergency needs. Funding for this program is provided by the Department of Justice Canada.

Documents and Forms

You can also fax it to the attention of the Manager of NWT Victim Services at 1-867-873-0199.

Common Questions

Who is a victim?
A victim is someone who has suffered intentional emotional and/or physical harm and/or serious damage to property as a result of a serious violent crime.

What is serious violent crime?
For the purpose of the NWT Victims Emergency Fund, serious violent crimes include sexual assault; homicide/attempted homicide; forcible confinement; and, assault that resulted in serious bodily harm. Other situations and circumstances may be considered at the discretion of the Manager of NWT Victim Services.

What is an emergency?
An emergency is something a reasonable person would conclude needs to happen without delay to protect the individual from further physical and/or emotional harm.

Who can apply?
The direct victim of serious violent crime, immediate family on the victim’s behalf (due to incapacity), or the guardian or legal authority of a victim who is a child or who is dependant.

What other conditions need to be met before I apply?
There are 6 basic program conditions that need to be met before applying to the VCEF. They are:

  • The victim of the serious violent crime is an NWT resident
  • The crime took place in the NWT
  • The applicant has not received funds for the same crime.
  • The crime took place between September 1, 2008 and March 31, 2016.
  • Funds are to be spent in the NWT
  • There is an immediate need for emergency expenses.

What needs can be applied for?
You can apply for the following emergency needs:

  • Crime scene clean-up
  • Emergency home repairs for immediate safety.
  • Certain transportation costs
  • Emergency child and/or dependent care
  • Emergency accommodation and meals
  • Short-term immediate counselling
  • Emergency medical expenses
  • Other items may be considered as emergency needs at the discretion of the Manager, NWT Victim Services.

What do I do if I need help to complete a VCEF application?
Talk to your local victim services worker or other local caregiver (nurse, social worker, courtworker). They have information about the NWT Victims of Crime Emergency Fund and may be able to help you apply. If no one locally can help you to apply, call collect to 1-867-873-7002 or 1-867-920-6911 or email to ask for help to apply.

What happens after I submit an application?
After your application is received, a decision will be made to either grant or deny assistance and you will be notified about this in writing.

What can I do if my application is denied?
If your application is denied, you will be told about the reasons you are not eligible for emergency financial assistance. You will also be informed about your right for a review of the decision.

How do I get a review of a decision?
You can get a review of a decision by asking for one and by submitting extra information. You can ask someone, like a victim services worker, to help you with the review, if you want.

For more information:
Call your local victim services worker or local caregivers such as your nurse, social worker, courtworker.

You can also contact at 867-873-7002 (phone) or 867-873-0199 (fax) if you have further questions.

This page last updated: August 2013